RFE: Increase NR_CPUS to 4096

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 20:14:23 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 1:21 PM, Prarit Bhargava <prarit at redhat.com> wrote:
> I've done some testing across various systems (both "large" and "small").
> Increasing NR_CPUS seems to have a negligible effect.  I see about a 1.1M
> increase in memory usage when switching between 128 cpus and 5120 cpus.  Since
> most systems ship with 4G or more these days, I cannot see an issue with
> consuming a small amount of memory like this.

1.1M isn't small.  We recently declined to build btrfs into the kernel
because it increased the overall memory usage by a similar amount.
Also, we regularly see users and bug reports still in the 2G range.
While it's not an apples to apples comparison, far more Fedora users
are going to be using btrfs than > 128 CPUs.  I'm not saying no
immediately, but I'm kinda dubious as to the benefits for Fedora.

josh