Fedora Kernel: Strict user copy checks: Disabled

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Jul 22 20:35:49 UTC 2013

Am 22.07.2013 22:29, schrieb Paul Bolle:
> On Wed, 2013-07-17 at 15:25 -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 03:39:35PM +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>  > is there a strong performance-wise reason for
>>  > "Strict user copy checks: Disabled" - IMHO if
>>  > something may make things more secure while not
>>  > have a dramatically performance impact security
>>  > in doubt should go first
>
> Are that the checks enabled by CONFIG_DEBUG_STRICT_USER_COPY_CHECKS? If
> so, they don't do anything on x86_64 (which Harald seems to be using),
> do they?

honestly i have no idea

i started to use checksec / hardening-check for make
sure any of my network services are proper hardened
and saw this below and thought no mistake to ask :-)

[root at srv-rhsoft:~]$ checksec --help
Usage: checksec [OPTION]

  --file <executable-file>
  --dir <directory> [-v]
  --proc <process name>
  --proc-all
  --proc-libs <process ID>
  --kernel
  --fortify-file <executable-file>
  --fortify-proc <process ID>
  --version
  --help

[root at srv-rhsoft:~]$ checksec --kernel
* Kernel protection information:

  Description - List the status of kernel protection mechanisms. Rather than
  inspect kernel mechanisms that may aid in the prevention of exploitation of
  userspace processes, this option lists the status of kernel configuration
  options that harden the kernel itself against attack.

  Kernel config: /boot/config-3.9.10-200.fc18.x86_64

  Warning: The config on disk may not represent running kernel config!

  GCC stack protector support:            Enabled
  Strict user copy checks:                Disabled
  Enforce read-only kernel data:          Enabled
  Restrict /dev/mem access:               Enabled
  Restrict /dev/kmem access:              Enabled

* grsecurity / PaX: No GRKERNSEC

  The grsecurity / PaX patchset is available here:
    http://grsecurity.net/

* Kernel Heap Hardening: No KERNHEAP

  The KERNHEAP hardening patchset is available here:
    https://www.subreption.com/kernheap/