Workstation product kernel requirements

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Wed Nov 6 12:36:15 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> >> - USB "Gadget" support (using a machine as a WWAN modem, MTP device, or
> >> hard disk) for
> >>   another machine.
> >
> > For what use case?
>
> This is something we're interested in on the ARM dev board use case
> (eth over usb, serial etc) as well, and possibly tablet devices
> although while I'm personally not particular interested in that use
> case I'm sure others will be. I've got it on my todo list to look at
> but it's not yet high up there yet. Happy to help where I can as
> cycles come up if its useful for others as well.

adbd support for machines that support it (are there Intel machines with support
for that?), "music player" support for smaller devices (so I could plug a laptop,
or tablet in a set-top box and see a sorted music collection), and installation
migration for the hard disk support.

This wouldn't all be kernel code (as the recent discussion around the MTP support
from Android shows), but it'd be a necessary building block.