I need some help tracking down an old bug

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Tue Oct 15 16:37:43 UTC 2013

I had a bug introduced between kernel-2.6.29.1-68.fc11 and
kernel-2.6.29.1-69.fc11 that I am trying to track down. It looks like
the obvious change between these two kernels is dropping a patch
that is for a wireless module and the machine I am having the issue
on doesn't have wireless. The issue is a hard lockup that occurs when
playing motherboard sound with signiificant network traffic and both
processors (Athlon XMPs) enabled. It doesn't seem like that patch should
effect that unless it triggers some different code to compile differently.

I looked at the root logs for those builds and they both use the same gcc.
The kernel headers package is different, but I wouldn't expect a kernel
build to use the installed version of kernel headers. (I want to check
for differences there just in case, but haven't gotten to it.)
e2fsprogs-libs also changed versions, but it seems like a long shot that
that is what triggered the problem.

I have built a vanilla 2.6.29 kernel in an f11 chroot (with f11 updates
installed) and am seeing the problem. I have also seem the problem in
some other kernels built between 2.6.28 and 2.6.29 also built in that
environment.

Some other steps I am considering are downgrading gcc or setting up an
f10 environment and trying to build vanilla kernels there.

I haven't ever been able to get a crash dump when this problem hits, so
debugging it with current kernels is pretty hard. I was hoping to find the
change that triggered the problem and that that would provide a good clue
as to what the problem is.

Any suggestions for how to continue pursuing this?