F20 should remain on 3.11.x until release (was: Re: Fedora Kernel Meeting Minutes 09-06-2013)

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 12:16:37 UTC 2013

On Sun, Sep 8, 2013 at 4:10 AM, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
> Lo!
>
> On 06.09.2013 20:35, Justin M. Forbes wrote:
>>
>> * open floor  (jforbes, 18:27:26)
>>   * F20 should remain on 3.11.x until release  (jforbes, 18:28:40)
>
> Just wondering: Is that really wise? The devel cycles for 3.4, 3.5, 3.10
> and 3.11 took 9 weeks; 3.6 up to 3.9 all took round about ten weeks.
> Which makes it pretty likely that 3.12 gets released round about on 4.
> or the 11. of November. Yes, that's pretty close to the release of F20

phb-crystal-ball.org agrees with you, they say the 8th.

> (Final Change Deadline is 2013-11-12 currently). But isn't including and
> testing 3.12-rc soon in F20-pre better than shipping it as update for
> F19 and F20 just a week or two after F20 got released? The latter seems
> likely and then the 3.12 package then gets only tested in updates-testing.

We're really in a tough spot all around with this release.  Alpha
change deadline is passed and there's no way I'm going to do Alpha on
a merge window kernel anyway.  That means if we switch to a 3.12-rcX
in F20 after Alpha, it negates any and all testing they've done with
Alpha.  Beta would ship with a mid-rcX release, which we've done
before.  However, it's conference season and there's no guarantee 3.12
final ships in time.

It's really a tough call.  There's not really a perfect answer here.
As usual, we hope and encourage people are testing rawhide.

josh