F20 should remain on 3.11.x until release

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Mon Sep 9 14:44:03 UTC 2013

Hi!

Tanks for answering.

On 08.09.2013 14:16, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 8, 2013 at 4:10 AM, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
>> On 06.09.2013 20:35, Justin M. Forbes wrote:
>> (Final Change Deadline is 2013-11-12 currently). But isn't including and
>> testing 3.12-rc soon in F20-pre better than shipping it as update for
>> F19 and F20 just a week or two after F20 got released? The latter seems
>> likely and then the 3.12 package then gets only tested in updates-testing.
> We're really in a tough spot all around with this release.

We were in a similar situation in F19 iirc: shipped with 3.9 and 3.10
came out as a update just a few days after the release. Ohh, and F18
even had a zero-day update from 3.6 to 3.7.

> Alpha change deadline is passed and there's no way I'm going to do
> Alpha on a merge window kernel anyway.

Sure.

>  That means if we switch to a 3.12-rcX
> in F20 after Alpha, it negates any and all testing they've done with
> Alpha.

And if we ship a major update just days after the release of f20 then we
negate a lot of testing, too -- but yes, the kernel used on the ISOs
will be more robust.

>  Beta would ship with a mid-rcX release, which we've done
> before.  However, it's conference season and there's no guarantee 3.12
> final ships in time.

Sure -- but the risk is not that big afaics (recently conferences
doesn't seems to hurt much anymore) and we have shipped Fedora releases
with RC[higher than 5] releases, too.

> It's really a tough call.

Yeah, understood, but I thought it might be worth the discussion, hence
my mails.

> [...]

CU
knurd