F20 should remain on 3.11.x until release

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Mon Sep 9 15:19:26 UTC 2013

On 09.09.2013 16:54, Justin M. Forbes wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-09-09 at 16:44 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>
>> And if we ship a major update just days after the release of f20 then we
>> negate a lot of testing, too -- but yes, the kernel used on the ISOs
>> will be more robust.
> This is important because the ISOs don't get updates.

Ohh really? Tell me about it ;-)

> We need to insure that people can install.

Sure -- but we also don't want to look old on release and make people
unhappy by breaking their systems wit the updates in the first days
after the release.

>  This is why a zero day update makes much more
> sense than rebasing the release kernel just before release.

I wouldn't call two months "just before the release" in the modern world
-- especially for a component like the kernel, as it has a really well
established and running development process and someone at the top of
the food chain that really yells at people when they try to sneak in big
or ugly changes :-)

CU
 knurd