Modular Kernel Packaging for Cloud -> glibc-common

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Mar 5 15:12:36 UTC 2014

Am 05.03.2014 16:02, schrieb Josh Boyer:
> FWIW, the existing kernel package installed today (a debug kernel
> even) is ~142 MB.  123MB of that is the /lib/modules content.  ~6MB of
> that is vmlinuz.  The remaining 13MB is the initramfs, which is
> actually something that composes on the system during install and not
> something we can shrink from a packaging standpoint

honestly "glibc-common" would be more useful and less critical
to split into subpackages

* missing a locale and fallback to english leaves the option
  install whatever package - i would not miss anything than
  "de" and "en" on all machines i maintain - cloud or not

* missing a kernel module and refuse to boot is critical

because of that CC to @devel

114,08 MB  glibc-common
132,60 MB  kernel

[harry at rh]$ rpm -q --filesbypkg glibc-common | grep locale | wc -l
419

[harry at rh]$ rpm -q --filesbypkg glibc-common | grep -v locale | wc -l
257