Modular Kernel Packaging for Cloud

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Mar 5 16:28:45 UTC 2014

On Wed, 5 Mar 2014 10:16:21 -0500
Don Zickus <dzickus at redhat.com> wrote:

> Also,  I just arbitrarly threw out 100MB, if we should start higher,
> say 150MB, then it doesn't matter to me. :-)

This entire disk size optimization seems kind of weird to me.

I just booted a f20 offiical cloud image in our openstack cloud. I used
the m1.tiny (smallest size, no persistent storage):

/dev/vda1        20G  1.1G   19G   6% /

Is a few 10's of MB's really worth making our kernel a bunch more
complex? Is disk space the right thing to be trying to optimize?

Perhaps I am missing it, but are there cases where the current cloud
image is too large? what are they?

kevin