Modular Kernel Packaging for Cloud

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Mar 6 18:03:12 UTC 2014

Am 06.03.2014 18:04, schrieb Don Zickus:
> Maybe impose only xfs as the fs of choice or some other restrictions and
> chop it further, but then we lose flexibility

hopefully a joke :-)

* i use a ton of virtual Fedora instances
* any of them is using ext4
* some may benefit from XFS but not that much to have
  different base environments and spread the test matrix
  for updates
* even if BTRFS is the overall default in a few years
  most of them are installed 2008 and dist-upgraded
  over the years, tiny, clean and perfectly maintained
* i do not plan a from-scratch install as long as i live

filesystems may hahve their pros and cons but as admin the
most benefit is limit the things you are using and know
how to handle them in trouble, 1% performance is nice but
the price of a mistake because things are working not as
usual in border cases is way too high

disclaimer:
maybe not perfect english but i think the point is clear