Modular Kernel Packaging for Cloud

Don Zickus dzickus at redhat.com
Fri Mar 7 15:06:48 UTC 2014

On Fri, Mar 07, 2014 at 09:50:37AM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 8:59 AM, Don Zickus <dzickus at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 07, 2014 at 08:23:15AM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:

> >> No.  62MB are already "gone".  The 35MB was what is needed
> >> additionally to get to comparable numbers with ubuntu.  Sound I could
> >> see dropping.  Graphics, not so much.
> >>
> >> Really, I'm likely to start with what I have and if there are major
> >> reasons that get brought up (with data) to trim further, we can look
> >> at it.
> >
> > I agree too.  I think you did an awesome job Josh.  Most of the fat is
> > trimmed. :-)  Anything more should really come with some numbers/data.
>
> Don't get too heavy on the praise yet.  This still needs to be done at
> the packaging level.  The changes to kernel.spec might make you want
> to poke your eyes out or something ;).

Oh, I thought you had the package split already into kernel-common and
kernel-drivers?

But yes I would be interesting in seeing those changes because that
filters to RHEL eventually.  I can already see RHEL developers whining
about extra packages to install... ;-)  Though all the kernel-tools stuff
seemed to have gone smoothly...

Cheers,
Don