Modular Kernel Packaging for Cloud

Sandro "red" Mathys red at fedoraproject.org
Sat Mar 15 03:01:24 UTC 2014

On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 2:38 AM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 12:06:21PM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
>> > I think the first is preferable; the main case where you get a kernel
>> > without the drivers package is when you're building something intended
>> > to be small, and going downwards isn't the way to really do that.
>> That protection needs to be done in yum/dnf then.  I don't see a way
>> to do it cleanly in the kernel packages themselves.
>
> Yeah, I agree.

And so would I. But it seems the dnf folks made this decision very
clear several times over a longer time span (like closing a bug in
June 2013, stating the fact in January 2014 and it's even been written
down in the docs) so it's unlikely to be changed. And since dnf is
planned for F22, changing yum's behavior would be much work for only
just one release. Also, as Josh stated, removing kernel-drivers isn't
that critical. Therefore, I vote we don't touch yum.

-- Sandro