March Fedora kernel release overview

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Fri Mar 21 14:54:48 UTC 2014

Hi All,

A brief overview of where things stand in terms of the kernel on each
release.  I promised I was going to send this out in place of the
Fedora kernel IRC meetings.  If there are other topics/questions you
have, please just reply and ask away!

F19/F20:

Currently at 3.13.6 with nothing pending in updates-testing.  These
will get 3.13.7 bumps in updates-testing early next week.

With the 3.13 rebase for F19, we also switched over the Secure Boot
patchset to match that in F20.  That means we have one patchset to
maintain, and no release is stuck with the old (and somewhat broken)
capabilities approach.  This should not impact anyone and I would be
surprised if anyone noticed.

Rawhide (F21):

Currently at 3.14-rc7.git2 and will likely move to 3.14 final early
next week.  I'll leave it at 3.14 final for a couple of days, and then
progress to the 3.15 merge window kernels thereafter.  Business as
usual.

In terms of F21 and which kernel we'll ship with, we're in a similar
situation as we were with F20.  The current F21 release date is
mid-October.  Using http://phb-crystal-ball.org/ (which is fairly
accurate), we'll likely be approaching the release of 3.17 around that
timeframe.  However, squeezing it in at the last minute is generally a
bad idea so we will likely be shipping the 3.16 kernel with F21 at GA.
 This is clearly not set in stone, but it's the best estimate we have
at the moment.

Fedora.next kernel packaging changes:

As seen on-list, I'm working on splitting up the kernel packaging to
make a kernel-core/kernel-drivers split that the Cloud people can use.
 I should be ready to post RFC patches next week, but more testing on
the existing COPR would be appreciated:

http://copr-fe.cloud.fedoraproject.org/coprs/jwboyer/kernel-core/

Thanks, and as mentioned above, please don't hesitate to ask questions.

josh