Where do rcX-gitY patches come from?

Josh Stone jistone at redhat.com
Sat Mar 29 00:24:58 UTC 2014

On 03/28/2014 03:02 PM, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 5:37 PM, Josh Stone <jistone at redhat.com> wrote:
>> I know there used to be a linux-2.6-snaps.git tree that had rcX-gitY
>> tags, but I haven't seen that in a while, I think since the kernel.org
>> rebuild.  Yet rawhide still uses patches of this form.  Is there a git
>> tree where these are maintained?
>
> Yes.  Linus Torvald's git tree.  ;)
>
> More verbosely, we have a script in the kernel package called
> "scripts/generate-git-snapshot.sh" that takes an environment variable
> which points to a local git checkout of Linus' tree.  It then
> generates the git snapshots based on whatever is present in the tree
> after the current -rcX tag.
>
> So whenever I do a new bump, I update my local tree copy immediately
> with 'git pull', use the script, and upload the resulting patch with
> fedpkg.  Then I do a local test build of the Fedora kernel package and
> try it out on a few machines.  Assuming it works, the changes are
> committed and pushed and an official build is kicked off.
>
> The local upstream git tree checkout is kept pristine on the master
> branch.  There are no additional patches committed to it, ever.  Those
> go in as patches in the spec file if needed.

Ok, sure, I wasn't expecting this had diverged from upstream at all.  I
was just hoping you'd have tags, so if/when we notice any regression
between two snapshots, we might easily see the new commits, bisect, etc.

I see that you note a more precise version in your commit messages, e.g.
"Linux v3.14-rc8-12-g75c5a52", so that's probably good enough, although
you might want to bump up your core.abbrev (Linus says 12).