4.0 final, 4.1 merge window, and us

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Fri Apr 17 11:47:13 UTC 2015

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 08:44:20AM +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> On 16.04.2015 14:12, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 6:17 AM, James Harrison
> > <jamesaharrisonuk at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> >> I took the src RPM from rawhide and compiled it in F21 x86_64..
> > For what purpose?
>
> I do something like that to help testing a new kernel version before
> it hits updates-testing.

You could pull it out of koji too though.

> > Also, generally you don't have to rebuild the kernel just because
> > it is an older Fedora release.  I test rawhide/F22 kernel RPMs on
> > top of F21 userspace daily.
>
> It might be a issue for those few that want to or have to compile
> modules for that kernel -- or is it possible these days to use gcc 4.9
> to compile modules for a kernel that was compiled with gcc 5.0?

Right, that's why I asked James why he rebuilt things.  Out of tree
modules would require a rebuild against whatever kernel version you have
locally.  As far as I know, you still have to have matching compiler
versions between your kernel and modules.

Aside from that, I can't think of any major reason to rebuild unless
you're modifying the code (or you think there's a compiler bug).

josh