Linux v3.20 plans

Paul Bolle pebolle at tiscali.nl
Sat Feb 14 21:43:12 UTC 2015

Hi Thorsten,

On Fri, 2015-02-13 at 08:28 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> TWIMC: My Kernel vanilla repository as usual will keep 3.19 vanilla in
> the mainline repo until the merge window closes and then jump to
> 3.20-rc1; around that time or maybe a week or two later I'll move 3.19
> into the stable repos.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Kernel_Vanilla_Repositories
>
> CU
> knurd
>
> /me once again things he should create a "Fedora next-stable repo" for
> those that would like to test 3.19 with all the Fedora-addons now (IOW:
> before it hits updates-testing in two or three weeks)
> /me put that thought aside again until he finds more spare time somewhere

This triggered an acute case of TL;DR, but I see only a three
interesting routes here.

1) For rawhide: a repository that tracks mainline releases (ie, a
repository that is at the latest mainline release for only two weeks,
and then starts tracking the latest rc's).

2) For non-rawhide: repositories that track the highest possible stable
release (ie, repositories that track the latest mainline release, but
track its stable releases until the next mainline release).

3) For non-rawhide: repositories that just rebuild the current kernel
package with all non-mainlined patches dropped.

Personally, I have a box that - sort of - does 1 and a box that does 2.
I think 1 and 3 look the more interesting routes. Why bother with
anything more complicated?

Thanks,

Paul Bolle