Probable issue with older nVidia cards with 3.19 kernels

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Jan 7 07:08:09 UTC 2015

I tested 3.19.0-0.rc3.git0.1.fc22 on three machines and the boot hung
pretty early on one of them. The video mode didn't change when it normally
would have shortly before it hung. However the output had scrolled past
where I might have seen an error message. This makes me suspect that this
is an issue with Nouveau and nv28s. I had another machine that has an nv50
boot a mainline kernel from around rc1 which would have the Nouveau changes,
so if it is a Nouveau probelm it only affects a subset of cards.

I'll look at doing some testing on the machine to see if the problem is
really in the changes to Nouveau support in the kernel, but not tonight.