sizeof - kernel modules

Mark Wielaard mjw at redhat.com
Tue Jun 16 12:17:10 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-06-16 at 00:20 +0200, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> Simplest probably is to just revert this one patch and do a elfutils
> 0.163 release with just that (and the translation updates). The issue
> that this was preventing (disk full with ELF_C_RDWR_MMAP, ftruncate
> appear to succeed, write in memory map causes SIGBUS) is probably less
> likely to trigger than this regression.

Even simpler is to always just (also) call ftruncate to set the right
file size. Which is what the attached patch does. It also includes some
test cases to check in-place-eu-strip actually reduces the file size.

I'll update the elfutils fedora package so there is a fix right now. But
unless people complain I would like to just make a 0.163 release end of
the week with this fix and any other urgent fixes because I think this
is a somewhat bad regression and we should urge people to not just
patch, but to upgrade to a known good version.

Thanks,

Mark