Fedora kernel git tree and package maintenance

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sat Jun 27 19:20:06 UTC 2015

Hi!

On 25.06.2015 18:02, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 12:45 PM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>
>> The kernel team has been running an exploded git tree since Flock last
>> year.  This has been mostly a "nice to have", but several people have
>> commented on how useful it is for them when debugging issues, etc.
>> Having the exploded sources with the patches we carry included lets
>> them easily see what we have changed and how.
> [...]
> So.  Given that it has been a week and we've heard nothing back, I'm
> going to assume that either nobody cares how we maintain our tree
> (which tbh is a fair point of view), or all of this sounds great to
> everyone.

FWIW, It matters to me, but I can't see any problem with the planed
approach.

There is only one thing I fear a little bit: sooner or later some things
might be done in the exploded git tree that can't be reversed easily in
pkg-git content or the srpm. For example, reversing a single patch,
adding your own patch or building a vanilla kernel should continue to be
as easy as today.

I'm sure it's not the intent to make these things harder, but you didn't
write that down. It might be worth it, as doing things directly in git
without caring about the spec file/the srpm at all sometimes is a whole
lot easier(¹). That's why I fear sooner or later someone will likely do
that, which would make other peoples life harder.

Cu, knurd

(¹) fwiw, the "make debug"/"make nodebug" stuff we have in pkg-git today
is one such thing; that's why I many moons ago worked on removing that,
but than totally lost track; sorry for that :-/