why are these drivers missing from the Fedora kernel?

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Mon Jun 29 21:07:08 UTC 2015

Hi,

I posted this earlier but did not get a response, so here's hoping that someone who notices has more suggestions.

I am a long-time Fedora user since Fedora Core 1 and I am looking at installing Fedora 22 on a MS Surface Pro 3 with Type Cover. But in order to do that (and to have the cover recognized), I noticed that the file linux-***/drivers/hid/hid-ids.h in the kernel from kernel.org is missing. This is however available at kcbench (which is the kernel compiled for benchmarking). I was wondering what the reasoning behind this is, because we can not have the Type Cover 3 recognized with the LiveCD while installing (and so installing without a keyboard is a major hassle). Not to mention, kcbench draws in over 500 MB with a dnf update.

Also, is this the correct arena for discussing linux-firmware? If not, I apologize. If it is, I was looking at:

/lib/firmware/mrvl

which is provided by the linux-firmware rpm and I noticed that it is missing some files:

This is what is in my updated files list:

pcie8897_uapsta.bin  sd8797_uapsta.bin  usb8766_uapsta.bin
sd8688.bin           sd8887_uapsta.bin  usb8797_uapsta.bin
sd8688_helper.bin    sd8897_uapsta.bin  usb8897_uapsta.bin

However, the list here (git://git.marvell.com/mwifiex-firmware.git) have some more -- here is thelist:

pcie8897_uapsta.bin  sd8797_uapsta.bin   usb8766_uapsta.bin*
sd8688.bin           sd8801_uapsta.bin*  usb8797_uapsta.bin
sd8688_helper.bin    sd8887_uapsta.bin*  usb8801_uapsta.bin*
sd8787_uapsta.bin    sd8897_uapsta.bin   usb8897_uapsta.bin

So, I was wondering: why are some of the files missing? Is it because of non-OSS issues? Or should I file a bug/feature request?

Many thanks,
Ranjan