kdbus and Fedora

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Wed May 6 12:46:49 UTC 2015

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 8:38 AM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The problem with that is all systemd testing is useless once we're out
>>> of Alpha.  Similar things have happened in the past.
>>>

>> Which is precisely the point.
>>
>> Alpha needs to be released with this applied and enabled  to be useful to
>> anybody.  ( and this needs to be applied and enabled up to that point )
>
> Only if it's being proposed as a feature of that release and to be
> default, this isn't part of the above proposal.
>
>> Around that point 4.3 should have been released ( or about to be released )
>> and either kdbus will be included or it should be clear that it will be
>> included in 4.4 or never but surrounding bugs around the changes to Dracut
>> implementing integration with kdbus will need to have started to receive
>> wider exposure and tested and hopefully have most bugs flushed out otherwise
>> you will be caught in spiral of delays if the intent is to include atleast
>> Dracut with kdbus/integration changes in RHEL 8
>
> I think we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves, the proposal is
> including it in the mainline Fedora kernel to enable easier testng,
> and anything outside of Fedora isn't really our problem when we're
> looking at rawhide TBH.

Well, rawhide and rawhide only so it does play into what happens at
branch time.  But yes, I think the proposal seems to cover this well
enough and we can worry about it more when we come to that point.

> Let's get patches in to enable it be more easily tested first...

I'm waiting on the next posting of them before we bring them in.  It
sounds like the proposed item 4 is already covered by the "kdbus"
mechanism that systemd looks for so as long as that doesn't change, I
think we're OK.

As soon as I see the refreshed patchset I'll look at getting them in.

josh