[Patch v3 3/3] kdump fails loading if target is root fs by default while disk is mounted on save path

Vivek Goyal vgoyal at redhat.com
Tue Mar 11 13:47:05 UTC 2014

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 10:28:46AM +0800, Baoquan He wrote:

[..]
> Hi all,
>
> Yesterday we discussed this issue on weekly meeting. I realized Vivek
> may not understand Dave's idea. Dave thought let's discard the file
> system option: <fs type> <partition>, just use 'path' option. Whatever
> the file system type the partition is, in rhel7/fedora
 					     ^^^^

Bao,

This is fedora specific list. No talks of rhel here please.

>user need mount
> the partition firstly in 1st kernel, then the specified 'path' is parsed
> and the mount info and path is written into 2nd kernel.
>
> After dump and reboot to 1st kernel, user will see the vmcore in 'path'
> user specified. They don't need consider the fs type and partition,
> developer do it for them. In this way, it's a big change, and will
> impact user's deployment. So Dave suggest put this idea and
> implementation to rhel8 or fedora.

In general, I like the idea of not having to specify <fs-type><disk>
option. I think initial kdump philosophy was that we will dump to a disk
even if it is not mounted. So one could not detect this automatically.

Now we are changing the philosophy where file system needs to be mounted
when service is run. That means one can detect the filesystem type and
underlying disk automatically if path is given.

So I am liking this idea of just specifying the "path" and do away with
asking for <fs-type> <disk>.

> However on weekly meeting, we agreed on Vivek's idea which we only
> address the default target: dump_to_rootfs. This is not a big change,
> and can simplify user's operation and understanding. This is what I am
> going to do.

This can be the first step. If user has not specified a dump target, then
default path is /var/crash. Use the disk, fs type and fs options where
/var/crash is mounted.

default option will still remain dump_to_rootfs.

Once this is done and integrated, all the basic pieces are in place and
it should be trivial to get rid of <fs-type><disk> option from kdump
file.

Thanks
Vivek