Add fence_kdump support for generic cluster v3

Vivek Goyal vgoyal at redhat.com
Wed Mar 26 16:37:55 UTC 2014

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 10:26:57AM -0400, Martin Perina wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After long discussion about fence_kdump config files (where those files
> should be located and which packages should own them) I propose this
> solution to support fence_kdump configuration for generic clusters:
>
>   - Add two new options to kdump.conf
>
>       fence_kdump_nodes
>           - List of hosts separated by space to send fence_kdump
>             notification to (this option is mandatory to enable
>             fence_kdump)
>
>       fence_kdump_args
>           - Command line arguments for fence_kdump_send (it can
>             contain all valid arguments except hosts to send
>             notification to)
>

>   - Modify kdump behavior due to new options
>
>       1) If fence_kdump_nodes option is set and fence_kdump_send
>          is found and executable -> configure network for kdump
>          and execute fence_kdump_send with those nodes (and also
>          with args specified in fence_kdump_args if not empty)
>
>       2) If fence_kdump_nodes is not set, try to configure fence_kdump
>          using cluster settings (current behavior). This should stay
>          in kexec-tools not to break compatibility and can be removed
>          after Pacemaker will start using new options.
>
> Do you agree?

Above proposal sounds reasonable. So you will be modifying /etc/kdump.conf
directly? And this will be done using some vdsm component present on the
host?

Other option is to create new file for nodes and keep all configuration
files in /etc/kdump. I am not sure if that approach has significant
advantage over this one.

I guess to keep things simple, let us take this appraoch and we can
always move to a file based config solution down the line in a backward
compatible manner.

Thanks
Vivek