Devices that can be used as raw kdump target

Vivek Goyal vgoyal at redhat.com
Fri Sep 26 13:34:55 UTC 2014

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 12:15:49PM +0200, Martin Milata wrote:
> system-config-kdump has hardcoded whitelist of major numbers for block
> devices that can be used as raw kdump targets. With the current list it
> does not show virtio disks [1] as possible targets. The major device
> number for virtio is assigned dynamically, thus I cannot simply add a
> new number.

This is interesting. I did not know that system-config-kdump does this
kind of hardcoding.

> I have no idea how the major numbers in the list were chosen. I see
> these possibilities for fixing the bug:

I also have no idea. If there is a block device, it should be able to
act as a raw device, isn't it? If yes, we should just check if a device
is block device or not, IMO.

Secondly, we also should do some checks if raw device has a file system
or if a raw device is a slave device of another block device and warn
user about it.

Thanks
Vivek