T61 architecture

Jos Vos jos at xos.nl
Fri Nov 9 19:41:59 UTC 2007

On Fri, Nov 09, 2007 at 09:15:45PM +0200, Peter Lauri wrote:

> I am a bit confused. Some sites on internet I found refer to a x86_64
> installation and others to a i386 installation. Can both be done? What
> is recommended in that case? I have just noticed that the x86_64 arch
> is less supported by other software?

You can do both.

The x86_64 install will also install several packages (mainly libraries)
in both 32- and 64-bit, so that you can run third-party 32-bit apps
without problems.

There is one important thing to consider: some third-party (proprietary)
plugins for Firefox (like flashplayer and Acrobat reader) are only
available in 32-bit mode and for these you need to run 32-bit Firefox.
So, when running Firefox you also pull in several 32-bit libraries and
thus have usually 2 active copies of these libraries in memory.

--
--    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>