Fedora16 and Tecra M4

Steven Grunza sgrunza at ctdi.com
Wed May 9 16:55:37 UTC 2012

Hello,

  I have a Toshiba Tecra M4.  It works well under Fedora 16 except that
the fan is constantly on at high speed now.  I don't know if it's
because of something I've loaded, a setting I've modified, etc.

  If I add the option "acpi=off" to the boot command then the fan stays
at a reasonable rate.

  Unfortunately this also slows down the CPU.  My guess is that the CPU
speed information is contained within the ACPI interface.

  Does anyone have experience with controlling the fan on a Toshiba
Tecra M4?   I didn't always have this problem so it's either something I
changed or something that was changed by an update somewhere along the
way.  Since I run the machine in various temperature environments and
with different loads I thought the problem was just the CPU running hot
but booting into a  SLAX off USB showed the machine running normal - fan
running slow, occasional speed up, then back to slow.

  Any help, pointers, etc appreciated.

Steven Grunza

Products Engineer

CTDI | Products Division