Hotkey troubleshooting

Tom Mannerhagen tom.mannerhagen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 14:03:11 UTC 2014

Hi

I am searching high and low to troubleshoot incorrectly mapped
laptop-hotkeys.

It seems evdev is involved, but I am not sure.

My issues concern more than one single model, not related to any single
distro (Fedora, openSuse, Ubuntu.) or version (18,19,20, Rawhide) and I
would happily provide proper maps if I knew where to start.

Example:

Some "branch" of laptops use one set of hotkeys, another branch has another
set.

Fedora (and other distros) maps the keys "randomly" (ok that's not right, I
know) so branch 1 get the layout from branch 2 and so on.

So as far as I understand, there must be something that is identified from
the hardware which tells the OS how the keys should work.

Any input the points the way forward is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Tom