[Fedora-legal-list] Re: DMTF schema distribution

Dan Smith danms at us.ibm.com
Tue Dec 11 15:51:09 UTC 2007

TC> That license seems to strongly imply that the schema files are not
TC> permitted for commercial use, which is something that we do not
TC> permit in Fedora.

Forgive my legal ignorance, but why does it imply that?

Fedora is already shipping an older version of these files, and a
number of other companies (IBM included) ship these files with
commercial closed-source products.

TC> It would be worthwhile to contact the DMTF and see if they permit
TC> commercial use/distribution of their schemas or not.

They state that the files "may be reproduced for uses consistent with
this purpose", with the purpose being "promoting enterprise and
systems management and interoperability".  Doesn't that imply
commercial use?

The DTMF is made up of industry members, but I'll try to get a more
official read on this.  If I get an email saying "yes, it's fine",
what else do I need to do to record that for Fedora?

Thanks!

--
Dan Smith
IBM Linux Technology Center