[Fedora-legal-list] Re: dcraw.c licensing ambiguity

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Thu Sep 6 08:31:57 UTC 2007

Hi Dave,

thanks for your quick reply. I'll keep fedora-legal-list on copy,
perhaps they want to comment.

On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 20:39 -0400, dcoffin at cybercom.net wrote:
> Hi Nils,
>
>      I changed the text because some customers are paranoid
> about the letters "GPL".  It seems that Debian is bothered by:
>
> > (a) include full source code*
>
>      Now I don't need to exactly match the GPL, but I must
> require something that commercial software companies would
> never accept, without creating problems for distributors of
> free software.
>
>      How about changing "include" to "offer, at no extra
> charge,"?

I'm not a lawyer ;-), but the source code provisions in the GPL are a
bit complicated -- to stay compatible, one would have to formulate
something compatible to 32 lines of legalese in the GPL license ;-). I
don't know about your customers, but I think an easy way to stay
compatible to the GPL would be dual-licensing, e.g. extend the text to
something like:

"... *If you have not modified dcraw.c in any way, a link to my homepage
qualifies as "full source code". ALTERNATIVELY, at your option, you may
distribute the code under the conditions of the GNU [Lesser] General
Public License Version 2[.1] [(or, at your option, any later version)]
[continue with standard GPL blurb]"

Of course, the version of the [L]GPL and whether you allow later
versions is up to you (it's your code). Would your customers be scared
away by that?

Thanks,
Nils

     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com
 Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."  --  B. Franklin, 1759