[Fedora-legal-list] Trusting upstream website when code has no license

Richard Fontana rfontana at redhat.com
Sat Aug 16 02:42:42 UTC 2008

On 15 Aug 2008 21:13:58 -0500
Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs at math.uh.edu> wrote:

> RF> Disclaimer: IAARHL, IANYL, TINLA
>
> No problem.  However, please forgive this response for I am new to
> this list and don't know who everyone is.  I simply do not know if
> should take your comments as rendered opinion for the purposes of
> acceptance of packages into Fedora.

Oh, I wasn't rendering any sort of official opinion for Fedora (I would
look to spot for that).  Rather, I think the question is an unusually
easy one to answer. No one ought to use code that has no licensing
information in it, and I think it's best to assume that it's too risky
for anyone to rely on an informal statement on a web site.  Educating
upstream developers about this is a good idea, of course.

- RF