[Fedora-legal-list] License opinion required

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Mon Dec 1 21:37:46 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-11-30 at 10:28 -0330, David Carter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm packaging software with the following license on part of the code,
> and I need to know if it's OK.

Unfortunately, it isn't okay.

This is non-free, because there is no permission to redistribute
modified versions of code under this license, only to "Make copies of
the original file you download and distribute it". That, combined with:
"Except as expressly stated above, HP and tang-IT grant no other
licenses, express or implied, by estoppel or otherwise, to any
intellectual property rights." means that we cannot assume permission to
distribute modified/derived works is implied.

HP usually does a better job of this, perhaps they'd be willing to fix
this license, or re-license this work under an established free license?

~spot