[Fedora-legal-list] Fedora GPL Violation

John Terhune johnterhune at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 00:06:37 UTC 2008

We recently purchased a traffic shaping network device from a company
called Exinda. While the device performs quite well, from looking at a
firmware update image I noticed that it was based on Fedora Core.
Nowhere in their documentation is it mentioned they are using GPLed
software, and there is no offer to release source code. I opened a
ticket with them asking for code under the GPL but was ignored.

Would this be the appropriate place be to report such a violation?

Here is some of the text from the build script included with the
firmware image. The bulk of the image is GPG encrypted.

BUILD_HOST_OS="LINUX"
export BUILD_HOST_OS
BUILD_HOST_OS_LC="linux"
export BUILD_HOST_OS_LC
BUILD_HOST_PLATFORM="LINUX_FEDORA"
export BUILD_HOST_PLATFORM
BUILD_HOST_PLATFORM_LC="linux_fedora"
export BUILD_HOST_PLATFORM_LC
BUILD_HOST_PLATFORM_VERSION="CORE6"
export BUILD_HOST_PLATFORM_VERSION
BUILD_HOST_PLATFORM_VERSION_LC="core6"
export BUILD_HOST_PLATFORM_VERSION_LC
BUILD_HOST_PLATFORM_FULL="LINUX_FEDORA_CORE6"
export BUILD_HOST_PLATFORM_FULL
BUILD_HOST_PLATFORM_FULL_LC="linux_fedora_core6"