[Fedora-legal-list] Ekushey Bengali fonts

Runa Bhattacharjee runabh at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 06:37:32 UTC 2008

Hi,

Sankarshan (সঙ্কর্ষণ) wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Paul W. Frields wrote:
>>> https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/648
>>> I'm not sure who (if anyone) has been alerted about this request for us
>>> to host some Bengali fonts which apparently have some uncertain
>>> origins,
>>> despite their licensing.  (See ticket URL above for details.)  This
>>> situation's probably not critical, because there's nothing being hosted
>>> by Fedora yet AFAICT, but it would be nice to respond to the
>>> requestor(s) in the ticket.
>>
>> CC'ing a couple of folks who can check this out.

[snip]

> On a personal note, I would not like to see them hosted at Fedora
> Infrastructure or included as part of anything related to bn_IN (which
> is maintained by Runa) till there is clarity on the issue.
I'd echo the same. As stated by Sayamindu in another mail in this same
thread, the people involved have a history of plagiarism (ever since the
time when bn was a single locale) and I would seriously discourage these
fonts to be associated with bn_IN. The conversations in Bengali, linked
in the fedorahosted ticket translate into a tirade of allegations
against the "donor" of the fonts.

hth

regards
Runa