[Fedora-legal-list] CVC3 License

David A. Wheeler dwheeler at dwheeler.com
Thu Jun 12 01:38:46 UTC 2008

Tom "spot" Callaway:
>Can you email Clark Barrett and see if he is willing to give you (assuming
> you'd be the Fedora maintainer) written permission to use the CVC3
> "trademark" with Fedora's modifications, past/present/future, as needed,
> or if he would need to approve each modification before we could apply
> it, in order to use the "CVC3" name?

If he's not willing to grant such permission, perhaps it'd be acceptable
to just rename the package (e.g., "cvc3mod"), and clearly stating in the
description that it's a _derivative_ from CVC3 and thus _not_ necessarily
the official "cvc3".  If that's not enough, the executable program could be
renamed, but then install a symlink from "cvc3" to it. That way, programs
that expect its "old" name would keep working.

--- David A. Wheeler