[Fedora-legal-list] Is the EUPL v1.0 (European Union Public Licence) acceptable in Fedora

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Tue Nov 4 20:34:44 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 3:27 PM, Tom spot Callaway <tcallawa at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-11-02 at 15:06 +0000, Caolán McNamara wrote:
>> Here's one I hadn't be aware of before, the EUPL, European Union Public
>> Licence: http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/eupl which affects something I was
>> considering packaging. It does have in it an explicit ...
>
> This one is non-free, due to Article 13 (which says):
>
>  The European Commission may put into force translations and/or
>  binding new versions of this Licence, so far [sic] this is required
>  and reasonable. New versions of the Licence will be published with a
>  unique version number. The new version of the Licence becomes
>  binding for You as soon as You become aware of its publication.

<snip>

Note that, according to discussions between the authors and OSI, EUPL
1.1 is in the pipeline, which should resolve this issue (and some
others raised by OSI) such that it should be acceptable to Fedora.
(Ironically, because of this clause, at that time anything released
under EUPL 1.0 should also become acceptable to Fedora ;)

Luis