[Fedora-legal-list] specifying license in source code

Milos Jakubicek xjakub at fi.muni.cz
Fri Oct 31 14:29:28 UTC 2008

Hi,

I've submitted a review request (#461484) and have a couple of licensing
  issues there (quoting from BZ):

 >- from the licensing point of view, we have a small mess
 > a) lots of files have headers defining them as GPLv2+ (good)
 > b) headers of some other files specifu Public Domain as license (good
 > again)
 > c) however  there are several files ( for instance
 > clients/threadtest.c and
 > many files under /lib  ) which have no license specified. What reason
 > can we invoke in order to assume that they are like all the others,
 > Public Domain or GPLv2+ ?
 >   In addition to that, the sourcefarge page of the project
 > (http://sourceforge.net/projects/twin/) claims that the project is
 > licensed as GPL and LGPL, but LGPL is only mentioned in the source
 > through the presence of the standard LGPL license file; I have not
 > been able to locate any other trace of it. Public Domain + GPLv2+ =
no > problem, but the presence of files with no specific license make me
 > ask for help. Anyone more experienced in licensing willing to shed
 > some light ?

1) do I have to ask upstream to specify license in each
file?

2) what license should this package be or do I have to ask upstream to
clarify it?

Thanks for any help,
Milos Jakubicek