[Fedora-legal-list] Linux firmware

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Thu Apr 30 02:26:24 UTC 2009

On Apr 29, 2009, "Tom \"spot\" Callaway" <tcallawa at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 04/29/2009 05:29 PM, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>> grep for the license notices I posted to find them in the Linux 2.6.29
>> source tree.  (The firmware in driver A moved into firmware/ in
>> 2.6.30-pre, but I haven't checked how or even whether the license
>> notices were adjusted)

> That said, I don't have much patience for the "go find the license
> problem I've cleverly and vaguely pointed out" game. Be specific, be
> concise, or be ignored.

Given all the opinions you volunteered as to this problem, it was just
reasonable for me to assume that you were (i) as aware of the issue as
Red Hat legal is, and (ii) misguided as to its seriousness, for people
who take legal issues seriously don't go about making guesses and
dismissing issues before knowing facts.

Only now has it become clear that you're just making wild guesses, to
try to deflect the issue.  Wild guesses that, rather than filling in
irrelevant blanks, conflict directly with the specific information I
offered.

I'm ok with your not wanting my help, but do yourself a favor and,
before sticking your foot in your mouth again, have a look at bnx2_fw*
and bnx2x_link* in linux-2.6.2*/drivers/net, and talk to legal.  I
recommend contacting Richard Fontana, he was at Libre Planet where I
first spoke about this issue, so he might even be aware of it already.

Good luck,