[Fedora-legal-list] Mono update

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Tue Jul 7 20:02:35 UTC 2009

On 07/07/2009 03:39 PM, Luis Villa wrote:
> OIN is 'if they shoot first, we'll take them down with us, so they
> probably won't shoot first.' MCP at least purports to be an
> enforceable 'we won't shoot' promise. The second is certainly a better
> and substantially different situation to be in, if one can take it at
> face value.

Yes, this is true, but without OIN's protection, and acting under the
assumption that the MCP holds water, Fedora would probably only be
comfortable carrying the ECMA bits covered by the MCP. The OIN coverage
is for the whole mono tarball (including the ECMA and non-ECMA bits),
with the notable exception of moonlight/silverlight.

So, from a Fedora perspective, the MCP changes nothing. The items
covered by it are already covered by OIN. Now, if they had given
additional grants covering areas outside OIN
(*cough*silverlight*cough*), then it might have been more interesting to us.

~spot