[Fedora-legal-list] License for wallpapers in old Fedora releases

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Fri Jul 24 15:28:06 UTC 2009

At the Design-Team we figured it would be handy to provide (perhaps in a
gallery) wallpapers from the old releases, so the users who liked them
can have a handy access at the images. It is also useful to have when
documenting our history.

However, we have a licensing issue with the images created before the
team establishment, from Fedora Core 1 to Fedora 7, when they were
created behing the closed doors, at the Red Hat Desktop Team.

My understanding is, being created Red Hat employees as part of their
normal job and included into Fedora, those should have some Free license.

However, for compatibility with the artwork produced currently and for
easy access by everybody, it would be useful to have access to those
images under a CreativeCommons license (Attribution or Attribution -
Share Alike).

 From seeing the recent license chance of the wiki, I expect the license
change for old wallpapers to be also doable but legal advice is needed.