[Fedora-legal-list] Regarding status of SRP (Secure remote password) support

Peter Lemenkov lemenkov at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 13:42:55 UTC 2009

Hello All!
Fedora ships gnutls (and, probably, other applications) w/o SRP
support, which was disabled years ago (in the era of Jeff Jonston).
See technical description here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_remote_password_protocol

Being curious lad, I quickly googled about its patents issues and
found numerous discussion in the past. For example:

>From these discussions, I found that patent holder provides a
royalty-free license:

http://otl.stanford.edu/pdf/97006.pdf

I cannot find any other patent-related info at the dedicated site
(created by patent holder):

http://srp.stanford.edu/

Maybe it's time to re-add support for SRP back in Fedora?

--
With best regards!