[Fedora-legal-list] License check for new library for fedora

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Tue May 5 13:14:31 UTC 2009

On 05/01/2009 01:14 PM, Thomas Janssen wrote:
> Good day.
>
> I try to become a new packager for Fedora and face a license that
> needs to be checked.
> The Main package is Newsbeuter MIT/X license and the needed lib is
> "stfl" with a LGPLv3 license, supplemented by additional permissions.

Thomas,

The stfl library is licensed under the normal LGPLv3 license (its
actually LGPLv3+). I think the thing that confused you is where the
LGPLv3 license text says:

" This version of the GNU Lesser General Public License incorporates
the terms and conditions of version 3 of the GNU General Public
License, supplemented by the additional permissions listed below."

The LGPLv3 is just the GPLv3 with some extra permission grants. The stfl
upstream did not modify the LGPLv3 at all. :) So, it is fine for Fedora.

~spot