[Fedora-legal-list] Hopefully simple GPL licensing question re Netomata

David Nalley david at gnsa.us
Tue Nov 3 21:25:01 UTC 2009

So I started looking at packaging Netomata (
http://www.netomata.com/products/ncg ) and came across something that
raises a flag. The author is also at a conference with me this week,
so I figured the face time would be a good time to request a change if
something is required.

The question I have, is does the 'All Rights Reserved' in each source
file conflict with the GPLv3 that they claim the package is released
under, and is it a problem wrt Packaging Guidelines.

In the header of each source file appears:
# $Id: ncg 335 2009-04-13 22:40:31Z brent $
# Copyright (C) 2008, 2009 Netomata, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
# Please review accompanying 'LICENSE' file or
# http://www.netomata.com/docs/licenses/ncg for important notices,
# disclaimers, and license terms.

There is no mention of GPLv$ in the source itself.

LICENSE contains:
Netomata Config Generator (NCG) License
=======================================

Copyright (C) 2008, 2009 Netomata, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Netomata Config Generator (NCG) is free software: you can redistribute
it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License,
version 3, as published by the Free Software Foundation.

Netomata Config Generator (NCG) is distributed in the hope that it
will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY OF ANY KIND (without even
the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
PURPOSE), either express or implied, unless required by applicable
law or agreed to in writing.  See the GNU General Public License,
version 3, for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License,
version 3, along with Netomata Config Generator (NCG), in the file
named "COPYING".  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.txt>.

For any other questions or comments, please contact us at:

        Netomata, Inc.
        2601C Blanding Ave., #327
        Alameda, CA 94501
        USA

        Web http://www.netomata.com/
        Phone +1 510 355 0123
        Fax +1 510 355 0134
        Email license at netomata.com

and of course 'COPYING' is contained in source and has GPLv3 in it.