[Fedora-legal-list] eclipse and php require GPLV2+

Julius Davies juliusdavies at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 17:31:51 UTC 2009

Hi, Fedora-Legal,

Congratulations on FC12 !  Can't wait to try it out.

Here's my question:

How does the package system (e.g. apt/up2date/yum???) deal with
dependencies that can be satisfied by more than 1 package?  Or does
this just not matter in real life?

I put together a list of all pertinent "Provides" entries on the FC11
i386 DVD that can be satisfied in more than one way.  The list is
pretty small (25 entries) since I discarded things that never show up
in "Requires".  Any tips on how I should choose which package to
depend on for what I'm doing (analyzing licensing between a package
and its dependencies).

Ambiguous maintainer "provides":
-------------------------------------
 dbus-bluez-pin-helper
 java
 java-sasl
 jaxp_parser_impl
 jaxp_transform_impl
 jce
 jre
 jsp
 jsse
 kdelibs
 kernel
 kernel-devel
 kernel-drm-nouveau
 libproxy-pac
 pcsc-ifd-handler
 pinentry-gui
 policykit-authentication-agent
 qt
 servlet
 syslog
 text-www-browser

Ambiguous AutoReqProv "provides:"
-------------------------------------
 libbaconvideowidget.so.0
 libjawt.so
 libjvm.so
 libxpcom.so

Here's a specific example for "Provides: jaxp_transform_impl":

saxon
Java XSLT processor
saxon-6.5.5-2.3.fc11.src.rpm
http://saxon.sourceforge.net/