[Fedora-legal-list] Wiki page : https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_print_magazine_proposal

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Sat Sep 5 16:05:32 UTC 2009

On Sat, Sep 05, 2009 at 10:15:31AM +0100, Paul wrote:

> > But lets keep in mind that as far as I know, it is not clear where the
> > content for this magazine will come from. Mel, maybe you can shed some
> > light here?
>
> Given this is in the planning stage, an integral part of planning must
> include the contributions!

The original proposal from Linux Pro Magazine was built around the
concept of, "We can do all this for Fedora and keep the work load off
of you."  Mel's approach, rightly IMO, is to consider, "How much of
this can be done by Fedora contributors, so they can learn from the
professional magazine staff and have a direct hand in creating this
magazine."

That means, as much of the content as we can reasonably get from
within the Fedora Project, we will.

So, that means that the situation is likely to be a blend of what Spot
and Paul are talking about here.  The pool of contributors already has
more exposure to licensing, for example, and form opinions similar to
what Spot is saying.  For example, I plan to write for the issue, and
I have particular opinions about licensing. :)  I prefer (now) to use
a CC license.  Actually, to be honest, I'd be fine with deciding as a
magazine editorial team to use one specific license to make eventual
content freeing easier.

From my perspective, the core challenge is "NC or not-NC".  I think
people in the project would prefer to do work that can be reused by
Fedora.  LPM, as you said, may have different preferences here.

What I was thinking was a modified form of the "first publication
rights" contract:

* All content is contractually under the CC BY-SA-NC until six months
  after the publication hits the magazine stands.

* At that point, the rights holders remove the NC clause permanently
  so that it can be freely used by Fedora.

This gives LPM the commercial protection to make their investment
worthwhile, having it sunset about the time that the next version of
Fedora Linux comes out.

I actually feel that 6 months is too long; I'd prefer 3, so that the
content can be used in Fedora while it is still highly relevant.  But
I'm not sure that is fair to LPM, especially if this is the first time
they've entered into such a contract.  I want to give them enough room
to feel comfortable about making it work.

- Karsten
http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41