[Fedora-legal-list] Licenses W3AF

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Tue Apr 6 18:49:52 UTC 2010

On 04/06/2010 02:40 PM, Michal Ambroz wrote:
> Hello Tom.
> Thank you for your guidance again.
> I will start working on packaging dependencies and taking this moloch apart.
>
> Please how it would be with the upstream tarball? What is recommendation?
> Is it recommended to repack just core of it for the src.rpm without bundles or
> pack the original upstream tarball risking possible license conflicts?

If it were my package, I would take the original upstream tarball, then
document exactly what I removed, and make a new "clean" tarball that
didn't have the conflicts at all. In the spec file, I would put my
notes, like this:

# The upstream source can be found here:
# http://foo.com/bar-1.2.3.tar.gz
# Due to licensing concerns, I had to remove python-foo and python-bar.
# To generate the new source, run:
# tar xvz bar-1.2.3.tar.gz && cd bar-1.2.3
# rm -rf foo/ bar/
# cd ..
# tar cvz bar-clean-1.2.3.tar.gz bar-1.2.3

hope that helps,

~spot