[Fedora-legal-list] Default license changing questions

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Mon Apr 19 21:13:20 UTC 2010

On 04/19/2010 05:02 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> However this agreement doesn't seem to put any minimum requirements for
> the "free" licenses listed at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing .
> Without that we are just trusting on faith that that list will in fact
> list licenses that contributors think are "free".

The thought was that there was a accepted meaning of "Free License", but
I can see how that might not be the case. We meant Free as in FSF.

> What happens in http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing is changed in error
> or by someone not authorized to make a change?

That page is locked down tight. Only members of Fedora Legal can change
it, and that group is a very very controlled set of people. It (and the
Legal: and Packaging: namespace) are pretty much the only wiki pages
which are ACL restricted.

> So perhaps there are a few ways that the license could be changed to a
> nonfree license?

Over my dead body. However, perhaps it would be worthwhile to define a
"Free license" in the FPCA to remove all doubt.

~spot