[Fedora-legal-list] Request for Comments: Fedora Project Contributor Agreement Draft (Replacement for Fedora Individual Contributor License Agreement)

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 15:18:38 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 9:29 AM, Richard Fontana <rfontana at redhat.com> wrote:
> We don't think that CC-BY's relationship to CC-BY-SA is sufficiently
> analogous to that between MIT and GPL (and other strong copyleft
> licenses) to justify the choice of CC-BY based on a desire for license
> compatibility.  Since CC-BY and CC-BY-SA therefore seemed roughly
> equal, we felt that a policy of promoting copyleft licensing where
> feasible, and the fact that it had been adopted for Fedora wiki
> content and docs with general enthusiasm (replacing the much
> disfavored OPL), justified the choice of CC-BY-SA.

Richard,

Thank you very much for your remarks. I agree with a policy of
promoting copyleft licensing where feasible and am happy to hear that
was a consideration in the process.

My only concern about the CC-BY-SA follows from my understanding
(which may or may not be correct) that it is incompatible with the GPL
and would cause problems for small support and documentation files
added to something covered by the GPL. If such files are not
considered "content" by Fedora then that isn't an issue.

Thanks again.

John