[Fedora-legal-list] Nangate Open Cell Library License

David Nalley david at gnsa.us
Wed Apr 28 00:13:48 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 6:49 PM, Shakthi Kannan <shakthimaan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know if the Nangate Open Cell Library License, Version
> 1.0. February 20, 2008 is acceptable for Fedora. I do see some
> prohibition clause for commercial use, but, not for academic/research
> purpose:
>
>  http://www.nangate.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=137&Itemid=137
>
> Please do let me know,
>
> Thanks!
>
> SK
>
> --
> Shakthi Kannan
> http://www.shakthimaan.com

Shakthi:

While I am a non-authoritative source, this strikes me as non-free,
and thus not acceptable for Fedora.
It continuously refers to not being suitable for commercial use, but
in reality I see no prohibition against commercial use.
What strikes me as non-free is that it prohibits or restricts benchmarking.
Freedom 0 requires that you must be able to use the software for any
purpose and in any manner, and the restriction on benchmarking clearly
runs afoul of that tenet.

David