[Fedora-legal-list] itext AGPL licensing

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Tue Aug 3 08:01:37 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-03 at 02:13 -0400, Richard Fontana wrote:
>   In accordance with Section 7(b) of the GNU Affero General Public
>   License, you must retain the producer line in every PDF that is
>   created or manipulated using iText.
>
> This is an additional restriction that is not authorized by section 7
> of AGPLv3.

That isn't obvious to me.  Does 7(b) allow a requirement that a legal
notice be preserved in a specific field of a file format?  If so, it
still seems the requirement could only apply to PDF files that
constitute a derivative work of iText, not (e.g.) to PDF files that just
had pages removed with iText.

(IANAL, I'm just participating out of my own curiosity.)

--
Matt