[Fedora-legal-list] Frontier Artistic License

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Wed Feb 3 18:53:44 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 03 February 2010 11:44:51 am Richard Fontana wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 11:28:39AM -0500, Steve Grubb wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > We were doing a license review of the aide package and found that its
> > shipping a file that is released under the Frontier Artistic License:
> >
> > http://www.spinwardstars.com/frontier/fal.html
> >
> > Is this license acceptable to Fedora? (I couldn't find mention of it on
> > the Licensing wiki page.)
>
> No, I discussed this with Spot in a different context a year ago, and
> the conclusion was that the Frontier Artistic License was not
> acceptable for Fedora, given the non-acceptability of the Artistic
> License 1.0.

OK, all linux distributions are shipping this package. I found that Debian had
discussed this too and they accepted it. So, if we object to it, then I need
to do some work upstream to fix this. What should I tell them is the basis for
us not allowing it when other accept it? I'm not opposed to your
recommendation, I just want to be able to state out position, that's all.

Thanks,
-Steve